Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lost Sole #1


Well, this is the picure that started it all. On a cold February afternoon in the "windy" city, me and good friend of mine were strolling down Michigan Avenue in Chicago discussing the "Lost Sole" phenomenon when we stumbled upon this pair of completely abandoned shoes on the sidewalk!?#%*! In complete and utter disbelief, we scrambled for the digital camera. I think we were so excited about our first official documented Lost Sole picture, we were completely oblivious to the baffled looks from nearby pedestrians. Being that this was the "windy city", we wondered if this lady had simply been blown out of her shoes. People, these shoes were right in the middle of the freakin' sidewalk in downtown Chicago!?! Oh and did I mention it was minus 50 that day? Where was the owner and why did she just ditch her shoes there? We were certainly on a mission from that day on. Do you have a Lost Sole story or picture to share? Feel free to post here or contact us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...great first post.

Staff Writer said...

Thanks! For the longest time I thought I was alone in my curiosity of the whole Lost Sole phenomenon. A few conversations and a little web research confirmed my suspicions that this was not an isolated dilemma, but a national plaque that appears to manifest itself in most cities worlwide. Most of us have at some point in our lives seen this single stray shoe laying in the gutter, or in the middle of the road and silently wondered how it got there. For me, I guess I have noticed one too many and this is the result...a blog about random stray shoes.

nollij said...

You know the funny thing about your blog? Today was the first day I've every checked it out, and I SAW a pair of lost souls TODAY! Well... technically speaking, they weren't TOTALLY lost souls.. at least I don't think so. In a parking lot today I saw a truck and there was a pair of completely trashed running shoes with the laces tied together hanging from the ball of a tow hitch. It was odd enough that though I didn't take a digital picture, I did take a "mental" snapshot. Come to think of it, I found another "lost soul" in Gerstle Park in San Rafael, CA about a week ago with my son. It was a childs shoe, about T4.. black and red I believe.. a GEOX (look it up at zappos.com). A very cool shoe: not one that I'd have left behind... I wondered about it the whole time we were at the park... enough that I googled GEOX when I got home several hours later!